Link exchanges and the joining of geographic or occupation-specific web sites. Link exchanges are powerful method by which search engines such as Google and AltaVista rank web pages. The more link exchange you do, eventually the higher link popularity your website will have.
Link exchange is so important, in fact, that a well-optimized website may still rank low because it is not 'popular' enough. The goal is to create complimentary links to sites that might interest your potential customers, but not detract from sales:
- link exchange increases visits to your website from related, complimentary sites
- link popularity increases visibility (rankings) on search engines such as Google and MSN.
Golden rules of link building...
- get links from pages that are read by the audience you want.
- buy links if visitors that come solely from the link will justify the cost.
- link to sites because you want your visitors to know about them.
Following these basic rules will increase link popularity, and you won't be penalized for 'spamming.'
Additional Thoughts on Link Exchange and Link Popularity
Some additional things to keep in mind
- Quality, not quantity, is the key to success for link exchange.
- Make sure that it is easy for other websites to link to you.